Top 10 Books on Online Education, Diploma Mills and More
Let's face it – as potential online students, it is not uncommon for us to turn to our favorite online site for research and news. A quick search in Google or Yahoo will almost immediately bring up information on what we are looking for without us having to do too much work. The speed and convenience of the internet is what has revolutionized business and eduction today.
However, despite the overwhelming use of the internet today, many people still enjoy researching and gathering information from more traditional, off-line sources. The ability to sit with a book and a cup of coffee is something that many enjoy on a daily basis.
With that in mind, listed below are our top 10 list of books discussing distance education and online degrees. This list comes from a search of Amazon.com and includes books that have been rated highly with their popular "star" system. Although these books do not provide an exhaustive overview of the online education system, we hope to provide a glimpse of what information is available in the "off-line" world.
- Virtual Education: Cases in Learning & Teaching Technologies by Fawzi Albalooshi
- Dollars, Distance, And Online Education: The New Economics of College Teaching And Learning (American Council on Education Oryx Press Series on Higher Education) by Martin J. Finkelstein, Carol Frances, Frank I. Jewett, and Bernhard W. Scholz
- Bears' Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning by John Bear, Mariah Bear MA, Mariah P. Bear, and Tom C. Head
- Bears' Guide to College Degrees by Mail & Internet: 100 Accredited Schools That Offer Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorates, and Law Degrees by Distance Learning (College Degrees by Mail and Internet) by John Bear and Mariah P. Bear
- Earn Your Degree Online and Get Good Grades : Tips For Success in Online Courses from an Online Education Faculty Expert by Russell C Kick
- The Complete Idiot's Guide To Getting Your MBA Online by George Lorenzo
- Declining by Degrees: Higher Education at Risk by Richard H. Hersh, John Merrow, and Tom Wolfe
- How To Be a Successful Online Student by Sara Dulaney Gilbert
- A Classroom of One: How Online Learning is Changing our Schools and Colleges by Gene I. Maeroff
- Degree Mills: The Billion-dollar Industry That Has Sold Over A Million Fake Diplomas by Allen Ezell and John Bear
While most of the books that made our list are focused on higher education, it is important to note that online education is beginning to make a significant impact on high school and home school education as well. In fact, there are already full-time, diploma-granting online public high schools in existence today such as Insight School of Washington State.
As the internet and technology continues to change the face of our education system, it will be imperative that students and parents alike learn the intricacies of online education. Whether you prefer to do research online or off-line, one thing is clear. There is an abundance of information available to you today. You must learn learn to use it to your advantage.